The Drop-Down Menu question is used to ask the user to select an item from a list. Here is an example of a Drop-Down Menu question.
This question can be displayed in normal mode (as shown above) or Form mode (use with a Form Header Question).
The following is a description of the fields in the Drop-Down Menu question editor:
- Question - Entry field for your question text. You can use the formatting toolbar to add formatting to the question such as text size, text formatting (bold, italic, underline), color, etc.
- Possible Answers - Lists the possible answers to the question.
- Default Value - Sets the default answer choice for the question. If the question has Possible Answers (i.e. Multiple Choice, Select Many), this value must be the exact text (case sensitive) of the answer choice.
- Answer required - If checked, the respondent must answer this question before continuing with the survey.
- Randomize answers - If checked, the possible answers are randomized when displayed to users. This is effective if you don't want the order of the answers in the answer list to have an impact on the respondent's choice.
- Alphabetize answers - If checked, the possible answers will be alphabetized when displayed to the user. This is effective if you plan to add options to the answer list over time and want them to always be displayed in alphabetical order.
- Ask if - Click this button to set the condition under which this question will be asked, i.e. branching and conditional logic. For more information, see the Ask if Logic page.
Note: If you use the option "Other" in a question with possible answers (for example, Multiple Choice, Select Many), it is always placed last in an option list. If you want an option to be listed last in a list of options place a ~ (tilda character) before the option value. For example, if you wanted the option "I don't know" listed last, you would enter the option as "~I don't know".
- For instructions on adding an image (such as a logo) to this page, see How do I add a logo to my survey?
- For information on using Piping to display dynamic data, see Using Piping
- For information on entering text in multiple languages (i.e. multilingual survey), see Multilingual Surveys
- To change this question to another type, Right-click on the question in the Edit tab and choose Change Type.