Format a Survey
On the Format tab you will set properties that control the look of your survey such as fonts and colors, header and footer, and the envelope for your survey.
- To format a survey, click the Format tab.
The Format tab displays several formatting options.
For information on formatting options, see the formatting options sections below.
- After you have formatted the survey, click Save.
- Once you have formatted a survey, you will want to send the survey. For more information, see Send a Survey.
Tip: You can click the Preview button at the bottom or left of the screen to see how style changes you make on the Format tab affect your survey.
Using the Style Wizard
The Style Wizard will ask you for the URL of your Web site and, then, try to extract images and colors from your site to use in your survey. You can run the Style Wizard by clicking the Style Wizard button on the Format tab and entering your Web site URL when prompted. The Style Wizard will ask you to select the colors and images from your site that you want to use in your survey.
Setting Style Properties
You can set the following Style properties for your survey:
- Question Delivery
- One at a time - Displays your survey with each question on its own page.
- All at once - Displays all questions in your survey on the same page, regardless of any page breaks in your survey.
- Defined groups (default) - Displays your questions with page breaks as defined in your survey.
- Envelope - Sets the envelope (i.e. style) for the survey.
- Font family - Sets the font for text in your survey. Note that if you use HTML to explicitly set the font for text in a survey question the HTML font setting will override the Font family setting.
- Clear Formatting - When you copy text over from MS Word or other applications, it's common for the formatting (i.e. font attributes) to be copied over as well. Clicking the Clear Formatting link will clear all formatting in your survey.
- Question text
- Normal (default) - Shows question text as normal text.
- Bold - Shows question text in bold font.
- Progress indicator
- None - Don't show any progress indicator.
- Question n of N - Show the progress indicator as Question n of N (e.g. Question 1 of 5).
- Progress Bar (default) - Show a progress bar.
- Question numbers
- Don't include - Doesn't include automatic question numbers when presenting the survey.
- Include (default) - Includes automatic question numbers when presenting the survey.
- Language - Sets the language for the survey. The language of the survey determines the text used for all system text such as buttons, prompts, etc.
- Clicking More gives you additional language options:
- Customize Text - This brings up a screen where you can customize any system message in the survey such as button text and validation messages.
- Switch to Multilingual - Clicking this link switches the survey to multilingual mode. In multilingual mode you can translate questions into multiple languages and have the user asked for their language before taking the survey. For more information, see the Multilingual Surveys page.
You can change any of the survey colors by clicking on a color and selecting a color from the table, or entering a RGB Hex value.
Tip: to specify a color as "transparent", delete the RGB Hex value, and click OK.
The following survey colors can be changed. Note that in some cases how the color is used depends on the specific envelope you choose.
- Text - Use this option to define the color of all text in your questionnaire.
- Background 1 - Use this option to define the color used in the body of your questionnaire.
- Background 2 - Use this option to define color used with even-numbered or odd-numbered questions. Choosing a color that is different from Background 1 helps to highlight question boundaries.
- Accent 1 - Use this option to define the color of the left bar and question matrix grid lines.
- Accent 2 - Use this option to define the background color used in question matrix legends, the button face color, and progress indicator color.
- Background Image - Use this option to define the background image tile (if any) used throughout the entire survey.
Clear Question Text Formatting
You can remove all of the text formatting in your questions by clicking Clear Question Text Formatting. This setting can be useful if you have copied text from a word processing program such as Microsoft Word and you want to remove any formatting that was copied along with the text. You can also remove text formatting by using the Question Editor toolbar in each question. For more information, see Opening and using the Question Editor.
Setting Page Header and Footer
The Page Header and Page Footer is displayed at the top and bottom respectively of each page of your survey. You can insert any content in the Header and Footer including text, images (i.e. your logo), and hyperlinks. Use the formatting toolbar to add formatted text to the Page Header and Page Footer sections.
For steps to follow for copying a logo from your Web site into the Page Header, see the How do I add a logo to my survey? page.
Create a New Survey
Build a Survey from a Template
Edit a Survey
Send a Survey
View Survey Results
Print Survey Results
Convert Survey Results to PDF
How do I add a logo to my survey?
Can I remove the default Thank You page?
Can I add pictures, videos, sound, and other effects to my survey?
Can I use a language that is not listed on the Format page?
How do I build a Multilingual Survey?