Downloading Raw Data
You can download the raw response data for your survey by clicking Download raw data on the Results tab. For more information about the Results tab, see View Survey Results.
When you click Download raw data, Vista generates a tab-delimited text file which contains all your response data. You can then download this file to your computer for further analysis, import into other programs or put it in an archive.
Tip: The download file is by default given a .xls extension so it will open in Microsoft Excel®. You can change this extension to .txt to open it in a text editor program.
Changing Download Settings
To change the settings of your download:
- On the Results tab, in Task, click Download raw data and then click Continue. The Confirm Download Settings page displays.
The following settings are available.
- Include Header - If checked, a header is added to the top of the download file containing the answer key. This is followed by the tabular response data (separated by a blank line). If unchecked, the header is not included in the download file.
- Include invitation data - If checked, response data for each of the invitation fields (for example, [%Name%], [%Email%], etc) is added to the tabular response data.
- Show answers as:
- Indices - Displays the number of the option the respondent selected (for example, 1, 2, 3, 4).
- Text - Displays the text of the option the respondent selected (for example, Excellent, Good, Average, Poor).
- Include the following additonal fields with each response:
- Response ID - Include the Response ID as a field in the tabular response data. The Response ID is the unique ID assigned to the response. This value will never change for the response and is guaranteed to be unique within the survey.
- Response date - Include the Response Date as a field in the tabular response data. The Response Date is the date and time the user submitted the response. This will be in the time zone of Vanguard Vista's data center (Eastern Standard Time GMT-5:00).
- Time to complete - Include Time to Complete as a field in the tabular response data. Time to Complete is the amount of time between the user starting the survey and clicking Submit at the end.
- Respondent IP address - Include Respondent IP Address as a field in the tabular response data. This can often be used to determine the general vacinity of the respondent by using an IP Address Lookup tool (search the internet for "ip address lookup").
Additional Download Fields
The following additional fields may be included in your download file.
- Invitation Fields - If you sent email invitations through Vista, the recipient data you uploaded will be added to the response set for each respondent. This allows you to perform more complex analysis and filters in external programs like MS Excel®.
- Query String - If you added query parameters to your survey link, these parameters will be displayed with your response set.
NOTE: Older versions of some spreadsheet programs may support 65,536 rows by 256 columns only. If your survey is very large then you may not be able to view its raw data in these older spreadsheet programs. There are many free spreadsheet programs available that support much larger spreadsheets, such as Zoho Sheet and Google Docs.