Other Text Box Question
Description: Describes how to use the Other Text Box question type to display an "If Other, please specify" option at the end of an answer list.
The Other Text Box is used at the end of a Multiple Choice or Select Many question to ask respondents to enter a textual "Other" answer. Here is an example of an Other text box question.
For information on adding an Other Text Box question, see Add a question.
The following is a description of the fields in the "Other" text box question editor:
- Question - Entry field for question text. You can use the formatting toolbar to add formatting to the question, such as text size, text formatting (bold, italic, underline), color, etc.
- Default Value - Sets the default answer choice for the question. This value must be the exact text (case sensitive) of the answer choice.
- Text box display length - Sets the character width of the text box. Note that this is only the display length of the text box and does not limit the length of the respondent's answer.
- Text box display height - Sets the number of lines in a text box. If this value is greater than 1 the text box will be a multi-line text box, e.g. for entering comments.
- Answer required - If checked, respondents must answer this question before they can continue with the survey.
- Ask if - Click this button to set the condition under which this question will be asked, i.e. branching and conditional logic. For more information, see the Ask if Logic page.
- Verification - Sets the verification rules for the question. For example, you can verify that respondent answers are in a certain numeric range or have a certain number of characters. If a respondent's answer does not meet the verification rule entered, the respondent will not be able to continue the survey.
Validation Example: None of the Above
Listing an answer last with Randomize answers turned on
Make an option appear last
- For instructions on adding an image (such as a logo) to this page, see How do I add a logo to my survey?
- For information on using Piping to display dynamic data, see Using Piping
- For information on entering text in multiple languages (i.e. multilingual survey), see Multilingual Surveys
- To change this question to another type, Right-click on the question in the Edit tab and choose Change Type.