Text Box Question
The Text Box question can be used to ask users for textual information. Here is an example of a Text Box question:
This question can be displayed as shown above, as a Text Area Question, as an Other Text Box Question, or in Form mode (use with a Form Header Question). The versions of this question are
The following is a description of the fields in the Text Box edit screen:
- Question - Entry field for question text. You can use the formatting toolbar to add formatting to the question, such as text size, text formatting (bold, italic, underline), color, etc.
- Default Value - Sets the default answer choice for the question. This value must be the exact text (case sensitive) of the answer choice.
- Text box display length - Sets the character width of the text box. Note that this is only the display length of the text box and does not limit the length of the respondent's answer.
- Text box display height - Sets the number of lines in a text box. If this value is greater than 1 the text box will be a multi-line text box, e.g. for entering comments.
- Answer required - If checked, respondents must answer this question before they can continue with the survey.
- Ask if - Click this button to set the condition under which this question will be asked, i.e. branching and conditional logic. For more information, see the Ask if Logic page.
- Verification - Sets the verification rules for the question. For example, you can verify that respondent answers are in a certain numeric range or have a certain number of characters. If a respondent's answer does not meet the verification rule entered, the respondent will not be able to continue the survey.
You can place a limit on the number of characters that a user can enter into a Text Box question. To do this, first enter your question text in the Edit tab. Next, enter <attributes maxlength=number> in the Source tab at the end of the source content. Replace number with the number of characters that you want to allow, such as 100. Please note that the Text box display height must be set at 1 to enforce the character limitation. Click OK to save the setting. Click Test to test your character limitation.
- For instructions on adding an image (such as a logo) to this page, see How do I add a logo to my survey?
- For information on using Piping to display dynamic data, see Using Piping
- For information on entering text in multiple languages (i.e. multilingual survey), see Multilingual Surveys
- To change this question to another type, Right-click on the question in the Edit tab and choose Change Type.